Touted as extremely healthy food, tofu is white in color and perhaps as soft as gelatin if not more. Though not everyone likes its taste, yet you needn't let that deter you. You can spice it up or add your own flavor to this healthy food.
This soybean is solidified and pressed together to form into a block. This food is high in iron and protein, which helps in muscle- and strength-building. It is highly nutritious and offers several health benefits.
You can choose from any of the four kinds of textures of tofu—firm, extra firm, silken and soft. Depending on your choice of texture, you can add it to soup, or fry or grill it.
But all of this is about soybean tofu. However, this article is about choosing the best tofu press. By reading our tofu press reviews, we can direct you to the market’s best pressers that will not just make your bean curd firmer than others but as compact as a meat product. So, no more floppy custard-type tofu, only the best tofu press.
Reviews Of Best Tofu Press
Here are the tofu press reviews of the top 6 presses available today. We are convinced that once you read them, you will be in a better position to make your selection at the store.
If you’d like to make tofu while you’re on the road, you’ll find this tofu maker machine highly portable. Its body is BPA-free plastic.
The Tofuture tofu press is dishwasher-safe and cleaning it daily is very easy. Its handles have grooves that give a good grip.
- This box-style of tofu press contains water very neatly.
- Small, compact and slick
- Depending on what you’re making, this tofu maker has three different pressing times:
- Short press: A short press of 15-30 minutes gives you enough tofu to make cheese sauce or cheesecake
- Medium press: In a couple of hours, you can get pastries, pies, and quiches
- Long press: Ranging from four hours to midnight, you can get stir-fries, baked tofu, and kebabs
This model comes in a range of colors and boasts a cool design that users are sure to love. But, is it just a pretty face?
Some critics may see it as just another pretty face, but on using it regularly, users feel they can’t do without this one as it comes with so much convenience packed in its small, trim body.
The EZ Tofu Press is similar in design to the Tofu Presser Super Tofu Press. It is designed to do as it’s supposed to.
The slabs that hold the block of tofu between them are made of USDA-approved plastic which is also free of BPA.
This keeps your tofu maker free of any contamination, so you can eat it as it is without any tension or fear.
- Two knobs hold the slabs in place to squeeze down the tofu block entirely.
- Squeeze the block perfectly each time by placing it just where the central mark denotes.
- No springs or bands so the users need not worry about the tension in the press or its wear and tear.
- The user must periodically monitor the press and see if it needs tightening or loosening.
- Lightweight makes it easily portable.
Since this press is portable, lightweight and easy to set down on any kitchen countertop, it is welcomed in most kitchens. And being efficient, it is of great value.
Perhaps one of the best tofu presses to make vegetarian dishes, the TofuXpress Tofu Press is best loved for its efficiency and high quality.
Its body is a compact 5 inches x 5 inches x 5 inches and is made of a combination of FDA-approved thermoplastic and stainless steel.
- It can be converted to a marinating dish.
- It is a high performance, durable and efficient tofu squeezer.
- It removes all excess water quickly.
- It does not turn with knobs, bolts or wing-nuts.
- For draining and pressing, it does not need paper towels, weights or plates.
This tofu press can easily be cleaned in the dishwasher, so people are encouraged to buy it. Add to that it is accompanied by a manual and recipe book that takes the guessing out of what to do with pressed tofu.
The design of the Super Tofu Press is so simple that it becomes easy to use to perform its one duty—to press tofu.
The tofu block is placed between two plates that are free of BPA and HDPE.
- This tofu press Amazon is made indigenously in the United States, using BPA and HDPE plastic and FDA-approved materials.
- It takes about 15 minutes to squeeze out extra moisture.
- It is lightweight and easy to operate.
- Its stability is enhanced with footpads.
- It requires very little maintenance.
- Its nuts, bolts, etc are made of FDA-approved stainless steel.
- Its dimensions are 8.5 inches x 4.5 inches x 5 inches.
To get the best out of this press, you do not need to use paper towels or weights. By placing it in the sink for a few minutes, the press works marvelously.
Here’s one more press made with plates, but its similarity with other plate presses ends here.
It is different from other tofu presses in that it has a detachable drip pan and an inherent tofu strainer.
It is made of plastic plates free of BPA and food level hardware made of stainless steel.
- It is the only press to be accompanied by a drip pan.
- It does not cause any mess, so requires no great clean-up.
- All water collected in the drip tray can easily be discarded.
- Its dimensions are 9.5 inches x5.5 inches x 3.25 inches.
- 100% money-back guarantee.
Despite its heavy price tag, this stainless-steel tofu press does not give perfect tofu. However, it has two unique features that set it apart from other tofu presses.
A uniquely designed tofu press, the Raw Rutes Japanese Tofu Press works differently from others. Depending on the pressure and weight put on it, it will work to give you perfect results.
There are two parts to it: one, the box into which you place the tofu; and the second, which takes on the role of a presser. The Ninja Tofu Press is made entirely of stainless steel.
- This tofu presser has a very heavy-duty pressing weight.
- Its size is enough to fit a block of tofu. So, it doesn’t need to be cut or reshaped.
- It does not have springs, rubber bands or poor-quality plastic parts.
- Its dimensions are 4.1 inches x3.1 inches x 2.5 inches.
- Lifetime warranty.
Easy to use and durable, this press works well, particularly for first-time users. Considering this, its price should not be a deterrent.
Things to Consider Before Buying Best Tofu Press
The tofu press market is wide and offers several options. This can make it difficult for you to make that one choice. Read on to find out the features that you should consider when looking for your ideal tofu press.
Size: If you're looking to choose in relation to size, you won't have many options. However, if you would like to make a huge amount of tofu in one batch, you will obviously need a big press. So, buy a press that will accommodate your entire tofu block.
Style: There are two types of tofu presses—the Plate Style and the Box Style.
- Plate Style Tofu Press: With this style, a block of tofu is placed between two metal or plastic slabs that squeeze out all the liquid from the block. It may have integrated tension springs, but it will need regular monitoring to make sure that the water is drained out of the tofu block. This style of tofu press is easy to use, simple and space-saving, besides also being affordable.
- Box Style Tofu Press: If you’re a die-hard tofu fan, this style is just right for you. Here, you needn’t adjust the press but once the tofu is placed comfortably into the box, the pressure levied by the box will help to drain out the excess water.
Easy to Use: It’s not mandatory to have a tofu press if you want to eat tofu. However, it may be necessary when you cook those dishes that require tofu to be drained of water. At such times, it’s nice to be equipped with a tofu press which makes easy work for you. So, look for products that you find easy to operate and which don’t have too many components that could confuse things for you.
Versatility: Is the tofu press you’re considering versatile? Can it make cheese and yogurt too? If yes, go ahead and buy it as it will be a better value for your money. And yes, if it comes with a recipe book, that will be a great addition to your kitchen.
What is a Tofu Press?
A kitchen device that squeezes excess water from your slab of tofu is a tofu press. By using this device, you get a thicker block of tofu with increased texture. By removing the excess water, you can add a dressing or marinade of your choice.
Of the four types of tofu, using a tofu press will work well with both firm and extra firm tofu. However, soft tofu will break, and silken tofu becomes a squishy mess. So, you no longer need to press it down with a kitchen towel. Your tofu press does it all for you.
What Is the Fastest Way to Remove Tofu from Water?
Tofu must be dried before you cook it since its main ingredient is water. By pressing to remove the water, the tofu absorbs more of the seasonings or flavors you use. Here's a traditional method of removing the water from tofu, though you can also freeze or microwave the tofu.
Drain water out of the tofu block and pat dry using paper towels. Sandwich the tofu block between stacks of paper towels for maximum water absorption. Place a plate on top of the paper towels and on that put a 0.91 kg weight.
Every 30 minutes or so, drain the water that is released by the tofu. Replace soaked paper towels with fresh ones. The time you take to press tofu depends on the kind of tofu you use.
However, if you’re in a rush, cut out a slice of the tofu and press it down for 15 minutes. Now, you can use the slice and keep the remaining for a later date.
So, which would you say is the best tofu press? Ideally, the best tofu press should be durable for use in the long-term, easy to operate and large enough to house an entire tofu block comfortably. It should also have a convenient and non-messy mechanism of draining out the excess water.
Additionally, you might like your press to help in making delicious vegan dishes. And, if you’re a first-time tofu press buyer, ensure you don’t struggle with it.